Dashing with Dash

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Preparing for Dash...


It was now 2001 and we shared our home with Gus (11 months), Bixter (11 years old) and Java (10.75 years). Upon contacting the Carters of Carterhall, they recommended that I come to see them at the Labor Days shows in Raleigh (learn something new every day - they have shows at Labor Day as well as in March!). So I strapped Gus into his Baby Bjorn (the world's best invention for keeping an infant close by!) and headed out to the show. We met Joe, Dora, and Darwin that day. And Gus got his first Corgi Kisses from Darwin.

Over the next few years we would see the Carters at the shows in both March and September. Gus soon outgrew the Baby Bjorn and was mobile. At one show, where I met Corgi-L folks as well, I wrapped a flexi-lead around his overall straps to keep him contained! Eventually though, I recognized that Gus and dog shows don't fit too well - he gets bored very easily. So I started attending on my own a few times just so that I could watch the dogs instead of chase my child.

On Saturday September 4th, 2005 I went to the Labor Day cluster of dog shows and ran into Joe Carter again. I started the conversation off with – “We are finally ready for our Corgi.” My expectation was that we would get on their waiting list for a litter in the spring/summer of 2006. What I didn’t expect was: “Great, we have a litter that will be 8 weeks old on Monday, do you want to meet them. We might have a puppy available.” So instead of rushing back from the show to pick up Gus from his sleepover, I called, and asked if they minded if I was a little late… and then spent 45 minutes playing with baby Pembrokes! Ahhhhhh puppy breath!

I went home to Mike and told him I’d been playing with puppies. He asked if I’d met our puppy. Up till then I was afraid to fall in love with the little boy called “Kenny” who cuddled up on my chest. When we had talked earlier, we both agreed that it was best to wait until spring/summer – but give me an inch… Plus – I was finally getting my CORGI! I’ve wanted one since 1980 – so I wasn’t going to pass up the chance.

Sunday I spent back at the dog show chatting with the breeder and exploring the possibility of adding “Kenny” to our household. I spent part of Saturday night researching his pedigree and was impressed with what I saw. The Carters expressed an interest in a home that would be interested in co-owning and showing. Something I had thought about for the future, but was surprised that my first Pem might be this good. After a month of discussion and negotiation, and reviewing contracts, DASH came home with us on October 1st.

Dash is Carterhall Commander N Chief – by CH Coventry Quest out of Carterhall Mary Kay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home